By Mandy Cooley
|Photo Credit: Shutterstock|
Everyone has been telling you to start networking in your job search, right? What exactly does that mean, though? How does talking to people about the fact you don’t have a job get you a job?
Here are five ways to make networking work for you:
1. Mix It UpDon’t, I repeat, don’t go to the same places with the same people over and over again. It is very easy to seek a pattern or habit when you are in a new and potentially uncomfortable place. Few people like going into a room of strangers and walking up to someone and telling him you are out of work. It sucks enough to know it – you don’t like having to say it. But… get over the fear! Expand your list of contacts. Grow your circle. Increase your influence.
- Network in groups of people who are looking for work.
- Network with people who are active in your industry.
- Network with people who already know you.
- Network with professionals who have companies in the same city you want to work.