Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The homeless man who turned his life around by offering book reviews instead of begging


Meet Philani Dladla, a.k.a. the Pavement Bookworm.  He’s 24 and lives in Johannesburg, South Africa, and his story is quite incredible.

pavement bookworm-crop
Philani Dladla. Photo: http://facebook.com/jacaranda942

As a child growing up in KwaZulu Natal he had always loved books. But after moving to Johannesburg to find work, he started taking drugs.

“I left my job and couldn’t afford rent anymore – I lost everything. While living on the streets I noticed how many beggars there were getting money for nothing on street corners. I thought I could be different and actually give people something worthwhile – like a book or book review – in exchange for money.”

So he started selling books on the streets – but only after he had read them and could offer passers by a detailed review.



Read more:

http://www.one.org/international/blog/the-homeless-man-who-turned-his-life-arround-by-offering-book-reviews-instead-of-begging/

No comments:

Post a Comment