Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Letter: Disappearing librarians one more blow to human interaction

Letter: Disappearing librarians one more blow to human interaction

Reader says replacing librarians with self-serve machines isolates people.

Photograph by: Calgary Herald

Saturday was a sad day for me. My local library has gone self-serve. In the
exact location where the librarians used to stand, I now stare at a self-serve machine. This was so upsetting to me, that I actually forgot the last four digits of my phone number.

In the past, when they suggested I use the optional self-serve machine, I always refused,
thinking, "I have a 21st century, sit-in-front-of-thecomputer-type-job.
What I really want is to be able to talk to you. I want the possibility of hearing you say, 'Oh, that book looks interesting' or 'I've heard about this book'." Read more...
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment